SO YOU THINK YOU’RE A LUTHERAN?
Test yourself. Take this fun Quiz. Each answer is worth 2 points.
Since 85% is passing for our Confirmation Class we'll expect no less from you.
The answers are provided below.
1 ) T or F Jesus has already forgiven all of my sins from the cross forever.
2 ) T or F God saves me through faith and good works.
3 ) T or F The Holy Spirit stirs my heart so I can cooperate with Him for my
4 ) T or F I believe that I cannot believe in Jesus or come to Him.
5 ) T or F Justification is a lifelong process.
6 ) T or F Jesus’s presence is symbolized in Holy Communion.
7 ) T or F All people (including Christians) will be judged on the last day based on
8 ) T or F In infant baptism, the effectiveness of the sacrament depends on the
faith of the parents.
9 ) T or F Money is the root of all evil.
10) T or F I am a sinner because I commit sins.
11) T or F I have free will in choosing salvation.
12) T or F I have free will in the secular realm.
13) T or F I commit sins because I am a sinner.
14) T or F By faith in Christ we are instantly justified by God.
15) T or F In Holy Communion the presider’s role is functional (distributing what
Christ gave us).
16) T or F In Communion the pastor’s role is ontological (making Christ present
in the sacrament).
17) T or F Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theses to the door of St. Peter’s Church in
Rome on October 31, 1517.
18) T or F The 95 Theses were 95 points for debate concerning the Catholic
teaching on the Virgin Mary.
19) T or F Luther protested the sale of indulgences because he didn’t believe in
20) T or F Purgatory is mentioned in the Bible.
21) T or F Luther’s solas (“alone”) are summarized as: We are saved by grace
alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.
22) T or F Lutheranism is a new form of Christianity.
23) T or F The Law has two functions: Civil use & spiritual use.
24) T or F When God gave Israel the 10 Commandments, (also called “natural
law”), they were nothing new.
25) T or F Everyone possesses natural law, whether they know it or not.
26) T or F Martin Luther was named in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.
27) T or F Lutherans believe in the Bible. (Careful, it’s a trick.)
28) T or F Lutherans are biblical literalists.
29) T or F The Old Testament is Law, the New Testament is Gospel.
30) T or F Lutherans believe in moral progress.
31) T or F Luther said you can use beer for baptism.
32) T or F Luther said you can use grape juice for communion.
33) T or F Lutherans believe in tithing (giving at least 10% of your income to the
34) T or F Only those who have been ordained may preside at Holy Communion.
35) T or F Sin occurs when we do “bad” things.
36) T or F Sin is not the absence of faith; it is faith misplaced.
37) T or F We are forgiven by God if we confess our sins. (Careful, it’s a trick.)
38) T or F If we live morally upright lives, we are in a state of grace.
39) T or F We are in a state of grace when we trust in Christ’s forgiveness; until
we sin again.
40) T or F If God’s word is spoken at a baptism, but nobody believes it, the
baptism is not valid.
41) T or F Peter was the first pope.
42) T or F Mary, the mother of our Lord, was without sin.
43) T or F Saints are persons who have lived exemplary lives and performed at
least 3 miracles.
44) T or F Luther married a Catholic nun, Katharina von Bora.
45) T or F Luther was excommunicated from the Catholic Church and condemned as a
heretic by Pope Benedict XVI.
46) T or F The ban (or papal bull) against Luther still stands today.
47) T or F Lutherans today are welcome to receive the sacrament in the Catholic
48) T or F Catholics are welcome to receive the sacrament in the Lutheran
49) T or F We are welcome at the Lord’s Table if we agree to reform our lives.
50) T or F Some people actually manage to keep some of the 10 Commandments.
1 ) T
2 ) F By faith alone.
3 ) F We do not cooperate or partner with God.
4 ) T (3rd Article to the Creed)
5 ) F It’s instantaneous the moment we believe.
6 ) F Christ is present “in, with, and under” the elements.
7 ) F Believers are already judged righteous this side of heaven by faith.
8 ) F It depends on God’s word.
9 ) F The love of money is the root of all evil.
10) F I commit sins because I’m a sinner.
11) F We have limited free will in secular matters, not in salvation.
16) F Christ is present in the Word. One can have Word without sacrament, but
not sacrament without the Word.
17) F The Castle Church door in Wittenberg.
18) F On the subject of indulgences.
19) F Luther still believed in purgatory in 1517. He thought the pope, out of the
goodness of his heart, ought to throw the gates open if he had that power.
26) F The other way around.
27) F They believe in the God revealed in the Bible.
29) F They’re both Law & Gospel.
31) T If water is not to be found. Besides, the water was often not clean.
32) F He said nothing about it, other than that we should do it just as Christ did it, and
He used wine.
33) F The tithe of the Old Testament was a form of tax, somewhat like the IRS
(Israel Revenue Service).
35) F Sinfulness is our condition; “bad” things are the fruit that condition.
36) T To not have faith in God is to have faith in oneself.
37) F We have been forgiven carte blanche from the cross. There is no “if.” It’s not
a quid pro quo; it’s not “If we do A, God will do B.” Otherwise we would could
affect our own salvation. Luther: “The law says ‘Do this, do that’ and it is
never done. The gospel says ‘Believe this,’ and it is already done.”
38) F We’re never morally “upright.” We live by faith, not the law.
39) F We are simultaneously 100% sinner and 100% saint. We live by faith alone.
40) F God’s word alone makes it valid.
43) F Saints are those who live by faith.
45) F Pope Leo X.
48) T Though in some “Lutheran” denominations, not even Lutherans are welcome.
49) F We are welcome when we believe the words, “This IS my body, this IS my
blood given and shed for you.”
100% - 96% Get in the pulpit!
94% - 90% A Luther brew awaits you.
88% - 82% Get thee to a nunnery.
80% - Purgatory welcomes you!